Saturday, July 14, 2012

ASMR. The way I sleep at night.

Autonomous Sensory Meridian Response

ASMR is a tingling sensation that occurs in the brain whenever you're exposed to specific triggers via one of the five senses. Youtube can only provide for two of the senses, sights and sounds, but often times certain triggers will cause you to believe one of your other senses are picking up sensations that aren't there.

Fun fact; Our sense of smell is the sense that is most connected to our memory.

ASMR isn't about that at all, but it's kind of cool. For instance, I used to sit by this girl in one of my classes in high school who poured an entire bottle of perfume on her body everyday (that's the only explanation I could conjure up at the time). Several years down the road and I pass by a girl in one of my other classes who wears the same perfume (you never forget a scent after that much exposure to it) and out of nowhere my mind goes back (almost against my will) to that class in high school; where I sat, who the teacher was, who I talked to, etc.

ASMR is not even close to that. It's about that tingling sensation though, that I don't get but every once in a while. I still listen to it anyways because it's some calming stuff regardless and the people who do it can be pretty informative at times. One person whispers Russian lessons, another sings songs from the World War II era, some people do art work (a la Bob Ross) and yet another just says a random collection of words just because their voice is that soothing. We always joke about having Morgan Freeman reading us the phone book until we go to sleep but I now found out that if I go long enough without sleep I'll actually do it!

True story, bro.

P.S. I don't listen to guys who do this stuff because the sound of guys whispering creeps me the freak out. It's typically just girls because they don't make me want to sit in the corner in terror in the fetal position.

No comments:

Post a Comment