Saturday, January 7, 2012

The History of the word "Pwned"...

I was going to title this blog, "Ever Get the Feeling You're Being Powned By A Fly?", but I feel like I should explain the change.

I was very unsure about the word "powned" and it's spelling, so I decided to Google it. Turns out, Powned is in fact properly spelled "Pwned". I've seen this spelling before, I just thought it was internet speak short-hand for another internet word. It's not, though.

From what I could gather from the Google machine, Pwnage came into existence on accident. A computer hacker was once trying to mod a map on World of Warcraft and one of the modifications he made was to flash the phrase "You Just Got Owned" on the screen whenever you died in the game. This failure of a nerd had misspelled Owned for Pwned and the phrase stuck with computer nerds everywhere. Eventually, it branched out into society where the CIA has been unable to contain the epic nerdage outbreak.

So what about the original title of this post? You see, I have a problem. My piano playing attracts flies. A multitude of flies, in fact, and they seem to like to land on my face while I practice. It happened a lot at home, and it's still happening at college. I only wish it were possible to drop-kick a fly...

No comments:

Post a Comment